<Jump Back
A background graphic - ray of light

Frequently Asked Questions About GAP Insurance

We get asked lots of questions about our product range, here are a few of the most popular answers. Click on a question to view the answer.

  • What is GAP Insurance?
  • GAP stands for Guaranteed Asset Protection (Insurance).

    GAP Insurance is designed to protect you against financial loss (vehicle depreciation) in conjunction with your comprehensive motor insurance (road risks) policy if your vehicle is written off (Total Loss).

  • How will I know what I’m covered for?
  • The main features and benefits of the payment protection policies, along with the cover and exclusions to cover can all be found in the key facts policy summary and the policy document which are available to read or download on our website.

    Your Policy Schedule will confirm what cover you have selected.

    If you do have any further questions please ask us at enquiries@fcppl.co.uk or call 0844 391 6965* or 01934 529420 and make sure you're happy before you take a policy out!

    We welcome customer feedback and are always trying to improve our service and product range so we’d love to hear from you.

  • Who are the insurers of GAP insurance?
  • Your Policy is arranged by First Call Group, (a trading name of First Call Payment Protection Limited), with UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of Ageas Insurance Limited, Registered in England No. 354568. Registered Office: Ageas House, Tollgate, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 3YA. With effect from 1st October 2013 the registered address of Ageas Insurance Limited is Ageas House, Hampshire Corporate Park, Templars Way, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO53 3YA. UK General Insurance Limited and First Call Payment Protection Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Ageas Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. This can be checked on the Financial Services Register at www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/register/ or by contacting them on 0845 606 1234.
  • How does GAP Insurance work? GAP Insurance explained via an example:
  • Vehicle Cost or Value at time of purchase* £7,500; Insurance Total Loss payment £3,600; GAP Insurance Payment of £3,900

    Vehicle Cost or Value at time of purchase* £13,400; Insurance Total Loss payment £7,200; GAP Insurance Payment of £6,200

    Vehicle Cost or Value at time of purchase* on £25,995; Insurance Total Loss payment £14,300; GAP Insurance Payment of £11,695

    Your motor insurer pays you the current value of your car, www.protection.uk.net pays any depreciation/loss in value from the time you purchased your vehicle**.

    *As per reference to Glass's Guide (www.glass.co.uk)

    **Policy limits apply, see terms & conditions

  • Do I have to purchase GAP Insurance from the dealer where I bought my car?
  • GAP Insurance can be bought from our website www.protection.uk.net at any time and will probably be much cheaper than the price for the same cover provided by the dealer where you bought your car. GAP Insurance is an optional product.

  • What is “Total Loss” in relation to GAP Insurance?
  • A common term for Total Loss is “written off”. Total Loss is defined in the policy to mean when an Insured person has claimed under their fully comprehensive Motor Insurance Policy and the claim has been settled with the vehicle being surrendered to the Insurer of your Motor Insurance policy or otherwise, and a Total Loss payment is made.

  • How long will GAP Insurance last?
  • Cover is available from one to three years from the policy start date. You can decide the term of your policy, that is suitable for you.

  • What is the maximum your policy will pay out?
  • The amount paid out is dependent on the level of cover you decide to select. You can choose a claim limit from £5,000 up to £25,000 but this will depend on the value of your vehicle.

  • Does it make a difference if my vehicle was purchased cash or finance?
  • Absolutely not. The cover you get will be just the same for both cash and finance customers. Please note that any negative Equity on/from your Car Finance is not covered under the GAP Insurance policy.
  • How long after the purchase of my vehicle can GAP Insurance be bought?
  • You can purchase a policy at any time providing the vehicle is less than 10 years old.

    There are two types of GAP insurance that we offer.

    Return To Invoice (RTI)

    Applies to Vehicles purchased from Motor Dealers and where the start date of this Policy is within 90 days of taking ownership of the Vehicle. The insurance will pay the difference between the Insured Value of Your Vehicle and the Net Invoice Selling Price You originally paid for the Vehicle.

    Agreed Value GAP

    For Vehicles purchased privately or from Motor Dealers where the start date of this Policy is 90 days after buying a Vehicle this insurance will pay the difference between the Insured Value of Your Vehicle and the Agreed Value of Your Vehicle on the start date of this Policy.

  • Do I have to pay a premium each year for my GAP Insurance?
  • No. The premium quoted is the total cost (including Insurance Premium Tax [IPT]) for the entire term you have selected. There are no extras, no hidden charges or annual renewals.

    Please note all premiums are single, one off payments.

  • How can I pay for my policy?
  • You may pay via our secure online merchant service.

  • Is GAP Insurance only available for new cars or can used cars be covered too?
  • GAP Insurance is available for vehicles that are up to 10 years old (0-10 years) at the start date of the policy.

  • Can I buy GAP Insurance if my car has been imported into the UK?
  • If your car is listed in the Glass's Guide (www.glass.co.uk) it can be covered.

    All American, Australian and Canadian vehicles are excluded unless they are built for the UK market. See Policy Wording for all exclusions.

  • Why are premiums so much lower than the GAP Insurance provided by motor dealers?
  • Simple; our website and online sales process allows us to keep our administration costs down and pass on premium savings to you.

  • Is GAP Insurance worth it?
  • No one can predict what the future holds and unfortunately accidents will happen. Did you know:

    • A car is stolen every 6 minutes*
    • The UK has the second largest number of vehicles reported as stolen in Europe*
    • The average depreciation of a one year old car with 10,000 miles is almost a third**

    *Source: Association of Police Officer's Vehicle Crime Intelligence Service (March, 2012)

    **Source: PARKERS (March, 2012)

  • Does GAP Insurance cover commercial vehicles?
  • Yes, commercial vehicles under 3500kg can be covered but as previously stated vehicles used for hire or reward, driving tuition, taxis, or used solely for delivery or courier purposes are excluded.

  • Is my vehicle covered if I’m driving in Europe?
  • Yes, the vehicle is covered in the European Union for a maximum of 30 days in any 12 months of cover, providing the cover provided by your Motor Insurance policy is an equivalent level of cover as you would have enjoyed in the UK.

  • Are taxis eligible for GAP Insurance?
  • Sorry, we are not able to cover vehicles used for hire or reward, driving tuition or taxis.

  • What age of vehicle is covered by the policy?
  • Vehicles must be less than 10 years old at the start date of the policy. How and when you bought your vehicle will determine the type of cover (Return To Invoice & Agreed Value), that is available.

  • Are dealer fitted accessories covered?
  • Dealer fitted accessories up to £1,500 are included.

  • Who administers GAP Insurance policies?
  • First Call Group act as the scheme administrators including policy issue, collection of premium payments and claims. Please note that we act on behalf of the insurers in negotiating and settling claims.

  • Who does the vehicle have to be insured with to qualify for GAP Insurance?
  • The vehicle can be insured with any company who provides motor insurance. The policy must be fully comprehensive motor insurance cover which must be kept in place or replaced by a similar comprehensive motor insurance for the duration of the GAP Insurance policy.

  • Who are First Call Group?
  • First Call Group is a trading name of First Call Payment Protection Ltd, registered in England and Wales, company number: 07064423. The company is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
  • Does GAP Insurance cover my Road Fund Licence?
  • The Road Fund Licence is not included within the value of the vehicle.

  • Is my motor insurance excess covered?
  • No. The Motor Insurance Excess is not covered.

  • Are any vehicles excluded from GAP Insurance?
  • As with most insurance policies unfortunately not everything is covered. The GAP insurance will not provide cover for any vehicle which has been used for:

    1. racing, pace making, speed testing, reliability trials or any off-road use
    2. the carriage of goods for hire or reward
    3. the carriage of passengers for hire or reward (e.g. taxis /private hire / minicabs)
    4. a short-term self-drive car
    5. driving tuition

    Also excluded are vehicles not listed in Glass's Guide, kit cars, invalid carriages, Vehicles used solely for delivery or courier purposes and commercial Vehicles of more than 3500kg gross weight. Manufactured by Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Lotus, Lamborghini, Maserati, Rolls Royce, TVR, modified from the manufacturer's specification (unless agreed by the Motor Insurer), all American, Australian and Canadian Vehicles (unless built for the UK market) or being driven by any person not holding a licence to drive the Vehicle.

    *See policy wording for full details and terms & conditions.

  • Is my vehicle covered if it was written off whilst being driven by someone else?
  • Yes. As long as the comprehensive motor insurance policy for the vehicle also covers the person driving and a Total Loss claim is paid to the insured.

  • If I sell my vehicle can I transfer the GAP Insurance to the new owner?
  • Sorry no.  GAP Insurance only covers the person(s) who bought the policy whilst they own the vehicle or until the expiry of the policy. However, we are able to arrange cover for the new owner if required providing the vehicle is still under 10 years old.

  • Must I be the Policyholder for the comprehensive motor insurance policy?
  • No, you do not need to be the policyholder, however you must be fully covered as a named driver on the schedule of the comprehensive motor insurance policy that insures the vehicle and a Total Loss claim is paid to the insured.

  • Can I cancel my policy?
  • Yes you can - whilst we hope you are happy with the cover your selected policy provides, you have the right to cancel it within 14-days of receiving the policy and receive a full refund, without giving any reasons. You must contact us within this period either by email or telephone.

    After 14 Days, you may cancel the policy at any time however the refund amount is calculated on a pro-rata basis less an arrangement charge of £45.00.

  • How do I calculate my vehicle’s purchase price?
  • The vehicle purchase price is the amount you paid plus any dealer fitted accessories up to £1,500 minus any discount you received.

    Please note: DO NOT include road tax and warranties. Any queries please contact us.

  • How to claim
  • In the event of a possible claim under this policy please contact the administrators at:

    • GAP Claims
    • First Call Group. Loxley House
    • 21 Coker Road
    • Worle
    • Weston-Super-Mare
    • BS22 6BX

    Telephone: 0844 391 6965 Email: claims@fcppl.co.uk

    You will be sent a claim form giving instructions on what you need to do. Please note, that at your own expense you will need to:

    1. Supply all information and assistance, which the Insurer may reasonably require in establishing the amount of any payment under this insurance.
    2. Notify the police of any loss or damage by theft within 24 hours or as soon as reasonably possible.
    3. Provide written notice of the facts on which the claim is based to the Administrators within 30 days of the date of loss.

Back to Top